Friday, June 5, 2009

Ode to the Afrodite: a poem called Beauty

This poem came about when I was thinking of an idea for a new post. My high school had recently held a talent show, and this young man, by the name of Theron Mcghee, entered one of his pieces. Honeychile,let me tell you! It's hard to get a standing ovation out of me, but I gave him one. Needless to say, he won first place for spoken word.So I sent him a message on Myspace, and asked him would he write a poem about natural hair for my blog. He said yes, and here it is.







Beauty


lets take it back to 72


where everybody was rockin' the fros


yea the nappy do


none of those additives and straighteners


yea natural was the flavor


now it seems that everybody is haters


on those that are brave and bold enough


to wear the hair god has given them


the hair god has carefully picked for her or him


its crazy


as soon as the child is born they're checking the baby


"do they have good hair?"


"do they have bad hair?"


why should you care?


now there's nothing wrong with perms and hot combs


but lets not judge those that are bold


and know the roots of their home natural hair is beautiful


not something that should be considered as unsuitable


- Theron Mcghee, member of 'The New Left'
Contact T.Mcghee: Hoyas20@yahoo.com

0 comments: