Monday, June 1, 2009

K.I.S.S

I would say this means " keep it simple stupid," but I prefer " keep it simple sista". This method of hair care keeps you from going broke, losing hair , becoming a product junkie, and many other negative outcomes of being too extravagant. K.I.S.S. is especially important if you are "newly natural", because you have a lot more to learn about caring for your hair.

Let me tell you how I keep it simple : wash, detangle,moisturize , and protective styles.







1.Washing: I use Dr.Bronner's Castile Soap concentrate . The directions for dilution are on the bottle. It does a good job of cleaning the hair and last for a long time. My dilution ratio is 1 cap full of soap to 12 fl.oz. water. It doesn't matter which shampoo you use, try to keep it as organic and natural as possible. Staying away from sulfates.Don't forget to use a conditioner afterwards. I recommend Suave tropical coconut conditioner or Herbal Essences Hello Hydradtion, ( you know...the one in the blue bottle.)












2. Detangle: Get a wide-tooth comb, a spray bottle filled with plain water, your fingers, and some patience. Once you get the hang of detangling your hair , it will be a breezy. I love to play in my hair ,so I enjoy detangling. You must understand that you hair should be damp or close to it; never comb hair when it is dry. Detangle as much as you can with your finger and then use the comb.Be gentle.










3.Moisturize: This is the key to healthy hair. Don't follow after all the other afrodites that rave over a product, it may work for them , but not for you. Find what works and stick to it; experimenting every so often. The best times to moisturize are during detangling and while styling.


























4.Protective Styles: are styles that don't not require much manipulation. You can either refresh them with a quick spritz and pat;or take them down once a week. The less you touch your hair, the more length it will retain. Some styles to try are two-strand twist, braids, flat-twist updos;anything that last for at least a week and still looks decent.

0 comments: